This is a companion to my other Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Magnificent Frigatebird

Fregata magnificens

Appearance:
Large seabird
Dark brownish-black plumage
Long, pointed wings 
Long, deeply forked tail
Short neck
Long, hooked bill
Male:
   Red throat patch which inflates to attract mate
Female:
   White breast
Juvenile:
   White head and chest
   Light bluish-grey legs, feet and bill

Listen to its call.

The first time I saw these magnificent birds in Puerto Vallarta, I was fascinated. They have a wingspan of up to seven feet and a slender, deeply-forked tail. Whenever I was near the shore, they could be seen hovering overhead. As the name suggests, truly magnificent!

male (non-breeding)

female
juvenile



Learn more about the Magnificent Frigatebird

No comments:

Post a Comment